What you need to know:
Learn the basics of using your Cisco 8800 Series desk phone.
The following topics will help you with common questions related to using your Cisco 8800 Series desktop phone.
- Line Keys – The Line Keys indicate the status of your lines and associated activity. The backlighting informs you when a line is idle, ringing, in use, on hold, or disconnected altogether.
- Softkeys – The Softkeys perform the functions that appear directly above them on the display. These functions are context-sensitive, which means the function of the Softkeys changes depending on your current activity. For example, if you are conferencing, the Softkeys display functions related to the conference function
- Navigation Arrows – By pressing left, right, up or down, you can scroll through the options and lists on the display. To select an item, press the OK button in the center of the four-way Navigation Arrows. These keys also function as a fast way to navigate to many functions, such as placed calls, received calls, and Directory Contacts.
- Feature Keys – The most commonly used feature keys include the following:
Let's look at the Cisco 8800 Series function buttons:
- Information and Settings
To place a call.
- Pick up the Handset and dial the Number.
- If a headset is connected to your device, press the Headset button and dial the Number to place the call.
To answer an incoming call.
- Pick up the Handset.
Note: You can also press the Answer softkey button OR the Speakerphone button.
To decline an incoming call.
- Press the Decline softkey button. The incoming call will divert to voicemail or to your call forward no answer destination number immediately
To answer an incoming call while on an active call.
- Press the Answer softkey - your active call will automatically be placed on hold.
- To decline the incoming call, press the Decline softkey – the incoming call divert to voice mail or your call forward no answer destination number.
Note: If you have more than one active call on your phone, use the navigation keys to scroll up and down to view call information, and use the line button to switch between calls. This action will put active calls on hold automatically; the phone never hangs up on a call.
Use the forward softkey to divert all incoming calls to another phone number.
- Press the Forward Softkey .
- Enter the number as if you were calling and the press the Call. The display then will show that your line is now forwarded to the number just inputted.
Do Not Disturb
Do not disturb prevents incoming calls from ringing on your phone.
- Press the More softkey, then press the Do Not Disturb (DND) softkey. To disable Do Not Disturb, press the More softkey and then the Do Not Disturb softkey again.
Please Note: When Do Not Disturb is enabled, all incoming calls will be diverted to voicemail or to your call forward no answer destination number.
If you have a voicemail service, follow these instructions to set it up.
- Press the Messages button , then follow the voice prompts to choose a PIN, record your name, and record your personal greeting.
- To retrieve your voicemail, press Messages and follow the voice prompts.
To place an active call on hold
- Press the Hold button or the Hold softkey button. Your caller is placed on hold.
To retrieve a call that's been placed on hold.
- Press Hold again or press the Resume softkey or press the line button where the call is being held. This is indicated by the red flashing light.
To initiate a three-way call, while on an active call:
- Press the Conference button .
- Enter the desired extension or phone number and press the Call softkey.
- When the number called answers, press Conference again to connect the three-way call.
To end a three-way call, hang up the phone or press the End Call softkey.
To transfer a call to another person without talking to them privately about the caller beforehand, while on an active call:
- Press the More softkey
- Then press the Blind Transfer softkey.
- Enter the phone number and press the Call softkey to complete the transfer.
To talk privately about a call before transferring, while on an active call:
- Press the Transfer button or Transfer softkey.
- Enter the phone number and press the Call softkey. The first call will be automatically placed on hold and the destination party's phone will ring.
- When the destination party answers, you can talk privately about the call before transferring.
- To complete the transfer, press Transfer button or Transfer softkey again.
If the called person does not answer or cannot accept the transferred call:
- Press the End Call softkey button.
- Press the Resume softkey button to return to your original call.
Transfer Direct to Voicemail
To transfer a call directly to another user's voicemail without ringing their phone, while on an active call:
- Press the More softkey .
- Then, press the Blind Transfer softkey.
- Dial *55 followed by the extension you would like to transfer the call to.
This completes the transfer to voicemail.
To access Call History for placed, answered, and missed calls:
- Press the Settings button .
- Press 1 for recent calls.
- From here you can choose from: All calls, Missed Calls, Received Calls, and Placed Calls.
- Use the navigation arrows to scroll to your desired list and press the Select softkey to make your selection.
- To place a call, scroll to the desired number and press the Call softkey.
To immediately place a call to a most recently missed call:
- Press the Call return softkey.
Please note: this key will only be visible if you recently missed a phone call and if the Missed call shortcut feature is set to On. You may check this setting by selecting the Settings button, User Preferences then Call Preferences.
Park / Retrieve Calls
Call Park is a shared hold that allows you to "park" a call on one phone and retrieve it on another phone. For example, if you receive a call from a customer with a question about their archived file, you can park the call and retrieve the call from the file room phone to answer their account questions.
To park a call:
- Press the More Softkey.
- Then press the Transfer softkey and enter *68 (star 68) and enter the extension where you would like to park that call against or press the # (pound) key to park the call against your own extension.
- Then press Call, if not automatically dialed.
To retrieve a parked call from any phone:
- Enter *88 (star 88) and press Call, if not automatically dialed.
- When prompted, dial the Extension number against which the call was parked followed by the Pound (#) Key or press the Pound (#) Key to retrieve a call parked against the number from which you are calling.